Have you ever wondered about how chiropractic care and good health are connected?
Meet Dr. Henry Windsor. Back in 1921, Dr. Windsor, a medical doctor, wanted to know why his patients undergoing chiropractic care or osteopathic spinal care returned to health without medications or surgery. So he put together a study at the University of Pennsylvania to try and answer just that question.
Dr. Windsor’s experiment took a unique approach. He conducted autopsies on 75 human and 22 cat cadavers. This experiment was designed to determine if there was a direct correlation between the health of a person’s spine and diseased organs. The cause of death was kept hidden as Dr. Windsor examined the cadavers’ spines. He found 221 diseased organs in the 97 subjects by only observing the spines.
Your spine has 24 moveable vertebrae. In between each vertebrae, nerves come out and feed nutrients and information to every cell, tissue and organ in your body to keep things working as they should. What is fascinating is that Dr. Windsor traced 212 of the 221 diseased organs to misalignments in the corresponding spinal vertebrae.
This is a 95.9% correlation! Wow! And since internal organs receive nerve input from multiple vertebrae (known as sympathetic filaments), Dr. Windsor wrote, “These figures cannot be expected to exactly coincide.” Your nerves exit your spine at each vertebra and branch out to control various organs and muscles.
Breakdown of Dr. Windsor’s Results
Neuro-Structural Shifts in the Upper thoracic spine (T1-5) Upper Back:
- Heart Disease: 100% correlation between heart disease and the nerves that control the heart. All 20 cases of heart and pericardium conditions had misalignments in the upper five thoracic vertebrae.
- Lung Disease: 100% correlation between lung disease and the nerves that control the lungs. All 26 cases of lung disease had upper thoracic spine misalignments.
Neuro-Structural Shifts in the Mid-thoracic spine (T5-9) Mid Back:
- Gallstones: 100% correlation between the diseased gallbladder and the nerves controlling the gallbladder. All 5 cases had misalignments in the mid-thoracic spine.
- Liver Disease: 100% correlation between the diseased liver and the nerves controlling the liver. All 13 cases had misalignments in the mid-thoracic spine.
- Pancreas: 100% correlation between the diseased pancreas and the nerves controlling the pancreas. All 3 cases had misalignments in the mid-thoracic spine.
- Spleen: 100% correlation between the diseased spleen and the nerves controlling the spleen. All 11 cases had misalignments in the mid-thoracic spine.
- Stomach Disease: 100% correlation between the diseased stomach and the nerves controlling the stomach. All 9 cases had misalignments in the mid-thoracic spine.
Neuro-Structural Shifts in the Upper Lumbar Spine (L1-3) Low Back:
- Prostate and Bladder disease: A 100% correlation was verified between the diseased organ and the nerves that control that organ. All 8 prostate and bladder disease cases contained misalignments in the upper-lumber spine.
- Uterus: A 100% correlation was verified between the diseased uterus and the nerves that control the uterus. Both of the 2 cases of uterine conditions had a misalignment in the L2 vertebra.
Dr. Windsor’s experiments show a direct correlation between misalignments in the spine, known as Neuro-Structural shifts, and the health and function of your internal organs.
Many people are aware of chiropractic’s ability to bring relief from pain. Still, many are not aware of how chiropractic adjustments can improve the health of your body and internal organs. For more than a century, chiropractic care has been able to correct Neuro-Structural shifts in the spine, restoring health, energy, and function. We see it every day in the practice!
That is why we see so many people’s health conditions improve and resolve when they are under regular chiropractic care. If you know anyone suffering from a health condition, let’s get them checked.